Monday, June 28, 2010

Buckle up Religiously

Driving through the county there's a catholic church that has this sign posted on the side of the road. I guess the first thing that popped into my mind is, since when did driving cars ever get connected to religion? The yo-yo effect kept going until I made further connections of doing things religiously: watching TV, brushing teeth, maintaining the garden, drinking; activities when done religiously should happen all the time. Right?

I come back to religion, and I keep interpreting it as 'dedicated'. So what am I dedicated to? I guess I can be religious about buckling my seat belt. But that's just something I grew up learning to do so that I don't all-of-a-sudden die; there's nothing more important than keeping your body on one side of the windshield when a bear runs into the middle of the road.



Lots of people talk about having a relationship with Christ while not being a big fan of religion; Jesus was great, but the people that follow him kind of suck.

I don't want to be controlled by a group of people who say "if you want to be part of us, this is what you have to be".

or

There's nothing for me in a system that tells me I have to stop doing the things I like.

To do something religiously entails that you're dedicated to an activity. I'm religious to the computer; I'm not so religious about washing my hair or tithing.
I know that there are things that I should be more religious about; small things like not biting my nails and big things like serving my community. There's a lot of good things that come from being religious and the whole world will tell us which are the best to dedicate ourselves to: health, happiness, wealth, sex, so forth.

Anything and everything that you dedicate your time and energy to will grow. No exceptions.

The forethought comes from thinking about which kind of fruit you want to nurture. The things that you show the most dedication to will end up being the things that you are most associated with.

For myself, there are pitfalls everywhere that tell me that I'm the most important thing in the world. I'm still trying to unlearn this. I know that with certain pastors, certain people who have seen the light, there is another way. They tell me about Jesus, the guy who didn't dedicate himself to money or sleep; He's a guy I could really get behind and follow.

There are hundreds of people around you searching for that same vane of selflessness as they seek God. Be religious about Christ and if you want to find them, he'll bring them to you.

But also, seat belts help; Flossing is a good habit as well.