Tuesday, August 29, 2006

B.K. This morning I was walking down the sidewalk...

and a man driving a motorcycle came onto said sidewalk from the street behind me. He started to speed up and wouldn't you know it, decided to drive right at me. Well, wouldn't you know it, my natural instinct to be like Bruce Lee kicked in and I popped to the side in some sort of honkey martial arts position. Much to my surprise I deterred the madman to the point of making him slow down his motor-bicycle...only to watch him throw a newspaper over the 8 foot wall behind me.

Paper boys these days.

__________________________________________________

And now for a debaucherous fact:

Yesterday the rest of the some 270 estudiantes de intercambio arrived and we had a talking to by a counselor here at the school. He pretty much explained the merits of having unprotected sex, being involved with drug trade, parasites within the digestive system, and alcohol. The majority of subject was a big red flag of "no no," and "don't do that," but provided that the majority of exchange students studying here for the next 4 months are not from a school that floats along in it's own happy bubble (which is something that is exceedingly termed here), the man explained that because of the high altitude it will "take you a lot less alcohol to get high, in fact you might feel like your 11 years old again after just a couple drinks." Now here's the fancy fact: I've met at least 3 Ecuadorians (all of age 19 or less) who have expressed to me that on various nights, they had consumed in excess of 20 plus beers with friends or fathers...and had they not told me I would have taken them for completely sober. I can't even begin to imagine the conditioning behind such a feat, the only thing I can compare it to is studying to become a monk; you live in the mountains and it takes you years of practice and discipline to reach a point of excellence within your mind and body that other men often envy and pine to reach themselves...except you're stumbling everywhere and quite possibly vomiting, something I'm pretty sure they teach against in densely monk-populated areas.
_________________________________________

And now for a moment of reflection:Today marks the one year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, and that means something to me.